Studies show a direct relationship between poor attendance and class failure.
The following procedures apply when an absence is necessary
- On the day of the absence, a parent/guardian should notify the school (417-359-7050) between 7:30-11:00 am.
- The student may report to the office between 7:30-7:45 am the morning of his/her return to school to turn in their parent note documenting the absence.
- Parent verification of all absences is required and may be provided by phone or written note. Verification must include the reason for the absence, the date of the absence, and a parent/guardian signature. Failure to provide verification constitutes truancy.
- School officials will determine if the absence is excused or unexcused.
- Absences approved by school officials for one of the following reasons:
- Illness of student
- Serious illness or emergency in the immediate family
- Professional appointments which cannot be scheduled outside the school day (verification required)
- Court appearances (verification required)
- Family trips with prior notification and approval; notification must be through the Principal one to two weeks in advance of absences
It is the student’s responsibility to gather, complete, and turn in work missed during excused absences.
Absences not approved by school officials are unexcused. Students will not receive credit for class work missed. Unexcused absences include, but are not limited to, the following reasons:
- Automobile breakdown
- Missing the bus or other ride
- Errands or business appointments
- Shopping or hair appointments
- Personal or family matters not pre-approved by school officials, including babysitting
The following policy and procedures apply to all students at Carthage Junior High School
- Parents will be notified after a student’s third and sixth absence.
- Any student wishing to leave campus for any reason must check out through the office by presenting a note from the parent or by parent phone call prior to the absence. Failure to do so constitutes truancy. Requests by parents for their children to be excused from school during the day should be made only in cases of emergency. Such requests should be made through the Principal's office.
- Students who are absent should make arrangements with their teachers for make-up work immediately upon return to school. The amount of time allowed to complete the work is one school day for each day missed. We strongly recommend that missed work be completed and returned as quickly as possible in order to minimize the negative impact to the student’s education.
- When students miss a full day of classes due to participation in a school activity, assignments are due upon return to class.
- When students miss part of a school day due to participation in a school activity, assignments due on the day of the activity are to be turned in before leaving school. Work assigned on the day of the activity is due upon return (students must obtain assignments before leaving).
- In case of planned absence, students must make arrangements for make-up work with individual teachers. Parents must assist students with this process by notifying the Principal in advance. One to two weeks notice is requested.